Don't get me wrong, with a family such as mine: being a daughter, sister, niece and auntie. I do have meaning, that last one has so much meaning! I do not want to know what my life would have been like without Max, Clara, Molly, Mason and Wendy in it. (I am sure their parents agree with me.
Sorry about...back to how I really feel about my job. Sometimes, I do find myself that wondering what it would be like if I was a cook. Then I realized for right now, I am very happy just to be a dietary aide
Granted, I do have responsibilities in the department (making sure everything is stocked--juices, tea, coffee, and either fruit punch or lemonade is made, and making the mighty milk), but the cook has so much more. And, not to mention, cleaning the dinning room, washing and putting away the dinner dishes. Whew!! am tired just thinking about it!!
For those who are interested on what I do (This is for the big one first--6:30-2 slot). As soon as I get there, I punch in and gather some trays for the drinks. Pour ice in them. At the same time make sure that the coffee maker is on, and working. (Very important) Gather the juices and put them on the trays. Gather up the some glasses and pour milk. Turn on the dish-machine! (This is very important. Got to make sure the temp is up)
Get ready for the rush. Put juices, milk and wrap silverware on trays along with salt & pepper, jam and sugar. Continue doing it until all the trays have been done. As the residents are eating in the dinning room.
Wash water bottles from the night before, put them on the cart to dry for the night shift. Look at the beverages, and make any that is need: Cranberry, prune (yuck), apple, mighty milk, fruit punch, or lemonade are the ones I need to make.
Dump the ice from the trays, and get the cart ready along with the trash can for gathering the dishes from the dinning room. (there are two carts: for the hall and the cottage--memory care unit) Gather up the dishes, and began to wash them, and when the carts come in do them. During the day, a couple of housekeeping staff comes and helps to clear the dinning room.
Finish up with the breakfast dishes (It takes me about half-hour to forty five minutes to finished) in that time I need to wrap the silverware for lunch. As lunch time comes, gather up the trays again for the drinks, and pour the milk.
Again, get ready for the rush. Do the same thing that I did at breakfast, minus the sugar and jam. But add a dessert. Wait for the residents to be done in the dinning room, and gather the dishes. Do as much as I can before the dinner cook comes. (she helps with the dishes.) As the glasses are done, pour drinks for breakfast and lunch for the next day. Say good-bye to the dinner cook when it is time for me to go, and wish her a good afternoon. Go home.
Are you tired?? I am just thinking about it.
This is for the dinner shift:
Punch in, gather up the trays for the drinks. The dinner cook pours them for the aide. Gather up what is needed: wrap silverware, dessert, and whatever else. Help the cook in getting the other set of meals.
Get ready for the rush, same as above. As the residents leave, clear the dinning room. This time I am alone, and clear the room by myself.
Do all the dinner dishes, but them away. Wrap the silverware. Sweep and mop the dish-machine area..
Punch out. Finish up anything I need to be get done. Go Home and Rest!
____________________________________________________________
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment